Dandruff is one of the most common hair problems faced by many people. It is a condition in where you get flaky skin on the scalps resulting in the urge to itch, frequently. Though the problem seems to be the same, causes are various. Most of the people are bothered by it to an extent that they are willing to try anything to make it go away. In situations as such, simple home remedy of apple cider vinegar can be of use, which is very effective as well.
Unlike expensive chemical, tar based shampoos and other treatments that harms your hair, people forget that traditional methods work better and keeps working for long term without as many side effects.
These chemical products do not solve the underlying cause and do not prevent reappearance of dandruff. Apple cider vinegar is one home remedy which solves most of the causes of dandruff and other hair problems. It removes the symptoms first and later removes the cause, after a number of use. It is a non expensive and natural way to solve the problem of dandruff.
You know that you are facing this problem of dandruff if you are
- bleeding on scalp
- severe itching on scalp
- white flakes in hair and scalp
- bad smell
- dry hair etc.
Causes of Dandruff
Dandruff cannot be removed until its underlying cause is gone. Some of the causes of dandruff are excess oil production on the scalp causing growth of bacteria and yeast-like fungus called Pityrosporum ovale. It also happens naturally as old skin cells of scalp is renewed and replaced with new. But this is not considered to be a problem unless it happens faster than normal or is different than usual. It is also caused due to one’s unhygienic habits.
Some of the causes for dandruff might just be a myth. for example over-shampooing, dehydration, etc with no specific proof.
What is apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is made through the process of fermentation of apple. It is used for cooking, cleaning and as home remedies fpr different problems. It is contains various kinds of enzymes and is very acidic but contains benefits beyond its nature. It is also used as beauty product by many people around the globe.
How does apple cider vinegar help?
Apple cider vinegar has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties that help in treating many health conditions including dandruff. Some of the ways through which it works are:
- Fungus and bacteria like bottle bacillus are killed and reduced to normal amount due to the presence of acetic acid and mallic acid.
- Prevents bacteria and fungus growth.
- It creates an acid alkaline balance and balances pH level of scalp with its acidic properties.
- It removes dirt and opens pores that have been clogged to maintain oil balance.
- It also has anti-inflammatory properties that reduces itching.
- It also conditions hair.
How to use it?
You can use apple cider vinegar for dandruff in many ways. You can use diluted apple cider vinegar alone or by mixing it with many other things like fenugreek, essential oils, cornmeal and grape seed oil, peppermint, fresh mint, rosemary, witch hazel, lemon juice, other herbs, etc.
Method 1: As a conditioner
- Wash your hair and scalp properly and make sure it is not oily or dirty. You can use mild shampoo for doing it.
- Take equal amounts of water and apple cider vinegar and mix it thoroughly if your case of dandruff is not very severe. If it is severe, you should mix two thirds of apple cider vinegar to one third of water. Donot use it undiluted as it can burn your skin.
- Put it in a spray bottle and spray it on your hair daily. In severe cases you can rinse your hair with it. Be careful not to put it near your eyes and ears.
- You can also wrap a towel around so that it gets time to show its effectiveness.
- Remove towel and rinse it properly. The smell will go away when it dries up.
- Use it once or twice a week or daily if you think you have severe problem.
Method 2: Apply direct
- Use just a spoon of apple cider vinegar in two cups of water and rinse with it.
- You can also use a pH strip test and mix it so as to make the pH level 4.
- If used diluted, it won’t have many side-effects.
Method 3: Use it for massaging the scalps
- You can also use a little diluted apple cider vinegar directly to your scalp with a cotton ball. Mix less than half amount of water to apple cider vinegar for doing it.
- Part your hair and use diluted vinegar on the scalp.
- Massage it for a couple of minutes and rinse afterwards. You can keep it for a few minutes to a few hours by wrapping your hair in a wet warm towel.
- You can also mix it in luke-warm water.
- Try not to shampoo after the use of apple cider vinegar as it might lessen the effect of the mixture You can just rinse your hair and scalp with water.
Tips for using Apple Cider Vinegar
- Use organic apple cider vinegar which is unprocessed.
- It is very much acidic and can burn your skin and other parts of the body. So use it by diluting.
- Its fumes can sting eyes if used in any unventilated places.
- The smell can be irritating to some.
- It reacts with many other substances, so do not use any other hair products with it.
- Test a small area of your scalp first to make sure you aren’t allergic to it. You should not use it if your skin is highly sensitive.
- If you find you are allergic to it, you should not use it and consult with a doctor.